Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leg strengthening and walking exercises

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leg strengthening and walking exercises
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 6:00pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  14:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "I broke my femur almost 4 months ago and the doctor says that it is healed well enough for me to be full weight bearing and to start walking again. It was repaired with a plate and screws. In a few weeks I start an outpatient rehab for leg strengthening, and was wondering what kind of exercises i can be doing in the meanwhile to get started. Nothing hurts when i stand on my legs, but am walking with a cane because right now i have a pretty noticeable limp. My leg doesnt hurt, it just seems really weak. I can stand on that leg on one foot only if i am holding on to something so i dont tip over. What are the best ways to get some strength back in that leg so i can walk a little smoother, and get a jump on my physical therapy?"

Ask a PT Response: "Great to hear you are doing better. If a patient has not been performing exercises for an injury such as the one you sustained, than the patient should start with lower level exercises initially in physical therapy. Examples of some of these lower level exercises which physical therapists prescribe can include: stationary bike, quad sets, heel slides, ham sets, short arch quads, straight leg raises, glut sets, sidelying hip abduction (lying on uninvolved side), seated resisted hip abduction and seated isometric hip adduction. Exercise video clips of these exercises can be found on: http://www.cyberpt.com/cptvidlist.asp If the patient does well, the therapist will then progress the patient to partial weightbearing exercises and then to full weight bearing exercises. It is recommended that the patient continue to utilize an assistive device such as a cane until the involved lower extremity becomes stronger and gait mechanics improve. In your situation, it is great that you are not experiencing pain. This will make the rehabilitation process alot more comfortable. Good luck with your rehab and thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic