Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My walk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My walk

 Post Reply Post Reply
Ask a PT View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Jul 07 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 954
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My walk
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 3:36pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts
Posted - 09/28/2007 :  09:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "I am 18 and just started college. As long as I can remember I have had a distinct walk and can't seem to change it. Basically I walk like a girl, with a lot of swaying of the hips and the rear. This is very degrading and leads most people who don't know me to automatically assume I am gay, which I am not. It kind of hurts personally at times, and I take offense with people judging me before they even know me. I have tried to study in the mirror what I do that makes me walk that way, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Is there anything a Physical Therapist could even do or do I need to see some sort of other professional to have this fixed. I don't want to go through the rest of my life with this kind of "condition". Thanks."

Ask a PT Response: "It is a shame that society is able to make preconceived judgements of individuals without even knowing anything about them. In your case I believe seeing a physical therapist would be the best choice. PT's are trained to analyze gait and determine the reasons for the deviation. Some examples of why you make be walking like that may be that you may have weakness in the muscles of your hips, limited hip joint mobility or limited flexibility at your hips. There could be other factors at well which the PT would be able determine. Based on the findings from the PT he or she would be able to develop the best plan of care for you. The only big problem with seeing a PT is that your insurance company will most likely not cover your visits because it will deem it medically unnecessary. You must have a medical condition/injury, a functional deficit or have safety related issues in order to have PT covered by your insurance company. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck."

Back to Top
Sponsored Links

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.105 seconds.