Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plantar Fasciitis, end of recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plantar Fasciitis, end of recovery
    Posted: Apr 30 2012 at 11:41am
Our user asked: "I am a 21 year old athlete, 6'4'', 210 lbs. I developed plantar fasciitis while in tryouts for a basketball team at my former college in late October. I have FINALLY gotten over most all of the symptoms. I can walk without pain all day, it rarely hurts in the morning, and is fine with a light rolling out of my foot using a FootLog. However, my big toe on my left (affected foot) has slightly less mobility than my right, and the plantar fascia that was damaged is very ridged and tight. When i pull either toe to moderate complete extension, the plantar fascia on my right foot is fairly springy and pliable, while the one on the left is much more stiff and ridged. I have my own personal FootLog, a plantar fascia brace, several exercise bands, a trigger point stick, an ankle rocker, and a personal ultrasound device. My new plan of attack is to apply pressure at different points along the plantar fascia and slowly extend the fascia through big toe stretches, move the pressure (thumb) and repeat, to perhaps losen some scar tissue. I also plan on using the ultrasound, and continuing with my stretches, and strengthening exercises. Any idea why this happened? And on a tangent, why must you keep the ultrasound head moving at all times? I see this warning, but I cannot find an answer for it online. (I am an aspiring physical therapist myself)"

Ask a PT Response: "It sounds like yo are doing all the right things for your plantar fasciitis. Having a hypomobile great toe is often one of the contributing factors for developing plantar fasciitis. The rigidity at the the great toe may alter the windlass effect http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6169 and mechanics with propulsion. Mobilizing the great toe to achieve normal joint mobility can contribute greatly with preventing plantar fasciitis: http://www.cyberpt.com/cptvidZ3.asp . As far as your question about ultrasound, if you keep the US head in one place this could result in a burn. Therefore, it is essential to keep the head of the US moving with treatment. I hope this helps."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic