Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rehabilitation for elbow that got surgery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thosecars82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rehabilitation for elbow that got surgery
    Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 6:06pm
Hello

I have a doubt. I got surgery in my elbow cause I got it broken in an accident. It seems physical therapists can bend the elbow til 130 degrees but i can only do it myself til 100 degrees. I have noticed I have not progressed in the last two weeks. I have been doing rehabilitation with two different physical therapists. One in the morning and one in the evening. I have been told by one of the two physical therapists that doing this two times a day rehabilitation might make that the elbow felt this extern forces like an agression not allowing the muscles to relax enough to keep increasing the maximum flexing angle I am able to do.

I wanted to ask you wether you think that continuing just with one of the two physical therapists might be a good idea in order to try to avoid the muscles to stop thinking that so many external forces along the day are an agresion. May be this would help to make muscles more relaxed.

I would really appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2012 at 10:22pm

How are things going for you now? Since you feel like you have plateaued, I guess it wouldn't hurt to just see a PT once a day and see if you are able to achieve further gains.

amoskowitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amoskowitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2012 at 5:05pm
The elbow is a difficult joint to re-attain the ROM you had prior to injury, especially in flexion.  Scar tissue builds up really fast.  You may ask one of your therapists if they can refer you to get a dynasplint.  It is a special splint that you wear for so many hours during the day and night, which gradually helps to increase your ROM. I have seen some great results with it.  You should start using it soon because the later you wait, the more scar tissue develops, and the harder it is to regain the full ROM. 

Aaron

Physicaltherapy.com CEU's and more
thosecars82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thosecars82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 9:20am
question: do you know if it can be used if I have titanium plates, surgical needles and wire as a result if the sutgery? thanks a lot by the way for all the help.

Edited by thosecars82 - Jun 27 2012 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic