Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recurring Calf Pulls/Strains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recurring Calf Pulls/Strains
    Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 7:41am
Our user asked: "Just got back from rugby practice. I was feeling great for the fist 40 minutes or so. Took off extra fast on a kickoff coverage and about 3 steps in pulled both calf muscles simultaneously. Never did both at the same time before, usually just one or the other. I need help in the form of a miracle cure. I have almost a week until we play. I am pretty fit, can do the stairmaster, elliptical, bike but if I get on the field or the road, the calf muscles go. I am 46 years old, 5'7", 180 lbs. Played rugby for 22 years, have not played in 6 years. Love to jog, can't do it anymore. Any ideas?"

Ask a PT Response:"That is pretty odd to have pulled both calf muscles at the same time. Some questions to ask as to what may have contributed to your injuries could be: were you well hydrated, did you have new shoes, new playing surface, perform any out of the normal activity prior or the day before, etc? With any strain (pull) it is best to avoid activities which may exacerbate the condition. Usually lower level activities (activities which don't increase pain) are performed by the patient in therapy while working on range of motion, strength, and functional training. Manual therapy and modalities may be performed as well as part of the plan of care. If you continue to experience problems, it would probably be best if you see a PT. Best of luck to you."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic