Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Pediatrics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Infant with Torticollis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Infant with Torticollis
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 2:33pm

kkonica

1 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen an infant before in PT but will be seeing one for the first time this Fri. The infant has a dx of torticollis and I don't know anything else besides that. I was just wondering if others would be able to share their treatment approaches and experiences with this.
Thanks
Kerry

amanda

2 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  15:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kerry,
I just posted something earlier in regards to Torticollis in the patient section. As far as treatment goes, you should work on stretching the SCM muscle if this is what you determined was the involved tissue. To stretch the SCM turn the infant's face away from the involved muscle while the head is tilted in the opposite direction with the head extended as well. I usually hold this position for about 5-10 secs and have the parents perform it for 2-3 times a day. I also encourage patients to promote positions and activities which will result in the infant turning the head in the opposite direction. Also some VERY gentle STM to the infant's SCM could help facilitate increase tissue pliability as well. If the infant doesn't improve, don't hesitate to consult with the MD or have the parents seek further medical attention.
Amanda

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic