Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Medial Ankle Sprain / pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medial Ankle Sprain / pain
    Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 1:39pm

Our user asked: "I came down on someone's foot while playing basketball about 3 days ago, I twisted my ankle outwards. There was immediate sharp pain and felt like something was ripped. Anyways, went to doctors had xrays, showed no fracture, and was told that it looks like a low grade deltoid sprain? was given a brace to wear and wasnt told anything else. There was never any bruising, but definitely tender on the inside of the ankle, and just a little bit of swelling, not too bad. It doesn't hurt too bad walking, I do feel a tweak here and there, and if I stand for too long in one spot. Well, just wanted to know how long until I can play ball again and how long the recovery time is for this? Ive never sprained the inside before so what are the protocols for treating an inside sprain besides RICE?"

Ask a PT Response: "Medial ankle sprains are a lot less common than lateral ankle sprains and is usually the result of excessive eversion and dorsiflexion. Return to prior level of function will depend on the severity of the sprain ie. Grade I, II, III. You mentioned you were diagnosed with a low grade ankle sprain, so I would anticipate you should be able to return to your prior level of function in 3-6 wks if strength, range of motion and stability return to normal. Here is a link to a great article which covers ankle sprains and treatment in detail: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0101/p93.html I wish you the best of luck with yor recovery."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic