Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shoulder impingement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shoulder impingement
    Posted: Jan 24 2011 at 2:54pm
Our user asked: "Hi, I'm a 40 year old male trying to stay active despite shoulder impingement issues. I tried to start some exercises which included flexion exercise, raising arm forward thumbs up to shoulder heights with 5lbs. And now this caused impingement. I did 3 sets of 12 reps and felt fine afterward, later that day I now have pain where I can't reach for objects at shoulder level and arms length. Even physical therapy is causing impingement, so now I don't know what to do. I saw a doctor who said there is nothing significantly wrong in the x-ray, just take it easy. How am I going to stabilize my shoulder if I can't do these flexion exercises. Internal/external rotation don't seem to bother me. Please give me any theory you may have on what might be happening. I realize it will only be your best guess. What other exercise can I do that will help stabilize my shoulder without causing impingement? thanks"

Ask a PT Response: "If you are experiencing an impingement syndrome at your shoulder lifting weights improperly past 90 degrees for shoulder flexion or abduction may impinge and irritate your biceps long head or supraspinatus tendon with the activity which contributes to impingement could eventually lead to chronic tendonitis or a tear.
For my patients who may be suffering with an impingement syndrome, I would perform manual therapy techniques such as joint mobs and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) techniques to help them with achieving the desired motion. Strengthening in the available range is also performed by the patient. Strengthening progression could include (from easiest to hardest) GH isometrics, isotonics in supine, resisted strengthening with tubing and standing isotonic exercises with weights. Your therapist should be able to assist you with exercises that would be specific for your activity level and needs. "
Sponsored Links

ErinS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErinS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 3:37pm
Here is a useful link to info on shoulder impingement:

http://www.healthchoices.ca/video/physiotherapists/Shoulder-Impingement-in-Badminton
justinjude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinjude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 12:21am
Rehabilitation therapy and Non steroidal Anti inflammatory Drugs can benefit in this case. Seeing your PT would be useful as he could diagnose the exact condition and suggest therapies based on that.

As per your case, Physical Therapy should not cause that much pain. The pain caused is temporary and fades away with time.Make sure you are following every instruction of your PT and not putting unnecessary pressure on your shoulder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic