Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Orthopedics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bone Stimulators for Spine Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bone Stimulators for Spine Fusion
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 2:20pm

MMPT

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  23:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any precautions or contraindications for individuals that will be receiving P.T. after undergoing a lumbar fusion and receiving a bone stimulator? I will be seeing a patient in the near future with this scenario and just wanted to know how other P.T.'s treat patients that have the stimulator. Do you have to worry about making sure you don't give an exercise that could pull away the wires or leads?

UWPT

9 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience with working with an individual who had an implanted electrical stimulator, there were no special activity restrictions. However, I was still expected to follow the surgeon’s restrictions for the amount and kind of activity that the patient can perform s/p lumbar fusion. It was also brought to my attention that the patient could expect to have the stimulator implant for 6-12 months depending on the surgeon and the patient’s progress. Basically, in your case, I would treat the patient the way you would treat someone who has undergone lumbar fusion and avoid any trunk movements (.ie excessive flexion or rotation) which could result in an injury or compromise the implant. Therefore, I would emphasize core stabilization. If you have any questions definitely consult with the surgeon or even the device maker.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic