Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - External Shoulder Rotation - Period of treatment?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

External Shoulder Rotation - Period of treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawrenceboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: External Shoulder Rotation - Period of treatment?
    Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 3:47pm
This is not a post about injury, it is a post about a lack of mobility.  I have a slightly kyphotic spine (just within normal ranges my doctor says), if that bears any thought to this.

I have come to realize that I majorly lack 1) thoracic spine mobility and 2) external shoulder rotation mobility.

I have been active in Olympic weightlifting, but cannot achieve the position shown here due to these immobilities:
http://www.gymjunkies.com/images/clean_rack.jpg

I have been working for the past 4 weeks (3x a day) on t-spine mobilization drills, soft-tissue work with lacrosse balls & foam rollers, and the "broomstick stretch" shown here for external shoulder rotation: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Subscapularis/Broomstick.html

I also stretch/roll my lats and PNF stretch my internal shoulder rotators too.

To make a long story short, how long does it typically take to show some progress in shoulder mobility? My t-spine mobility has come a long way, and anything with my arms overhead is getting easier, but my shoulder seems to be not improving.

I have pictures of me attempting the position above if that would be of interest.  

I'm just frustrated.

Edited by lawrenceboland - Aug 17 2010 at 3:48pm
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 1:49pm

Hi Lawrence,
For my patients who have lack of mobility at the shoulder joint it can take quite awhile to achieve increase mobility. Depending on what is contributing to the restriction at the joint ie scar tissue, capsular, soft tissue, etc. The treatment approach may vary and so will the time for gains. The picture that shows the position you are trying to achieve will require not only great strength but flexibility as well. You mention you have been stretching the internal rotators - is there a reason why you are not stretching the external rotators? Given this picture, I would say you would need to have sufficient external rotation to achieve this position as well.  
lawrenceboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawrenceboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 1:53pm
I am stretching both the internal and external rotators.  I am also doing external rotation exercises with bands to strengthen them.

I saw a chiropractor yesterday that specializes in Active Release Therapy, and he did a lot of work on the muscles around my shoulder.  It was pretty amazing... my range of motion was a lot better (temporarily).   I'm just going to stick with my program, and see this chiro 1-2x a week for awhile and hope for the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic