Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Healing Bicep Distal tendon partial tear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Healing Bicep Distal tendon partial tear
    Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 4:07pm
Our user asked: "Was just diagnosed with a Distal Tendon Partial Tear - Injury occurred 3 weeks ago. Stupidly did 55 lbs dumbbell curls. MRI confirmed a partial tear but the Dr. cannot tell how much it's torn. Tendon is still partially attached and I can see the bicep and tendon at the correct location. One surgeon recommended immediate surgery to completely detach it and reattach it properly. he says it will not heal because it does not get blood flow and will never be as strong. He says the only way to properly fix to get full strength is to operate is now and re-attach it. I got a second opinion and say another surgeon from a very well respected sports medicine surgeon. he is the team doctor for the USA Rugby team and sloe the Hurricanes professional soccer team. I really respect him and he has already fixed my torn knee from a previous injury. He says no need to operate right now. he says physio for 6 weeks and re-evaluate then. He says if it completely tears, we can always fix it when it tears but no need to do this now. He says it will partially heal over time and may heal to be almost as strong as my other arm. I have opted to wait six weeks and do physion. My question are: Has anybody experienced the same injury? How much luck have you had in healing the partially torn tendon on it's own? What can I do to help heal? Supplements? massage? treatments? thank you for your help"

Ask a PT Response: "I will have to agree with your second opinion. For partial tears, time and physical therapy should allow you to achieve your previous level of function. The primary function of the biceps is elbow flexion with secondary function of forearm supination. Other muscles such as brachialis, brachioradialis and supinator will also be able to assist with any deviations as a result of injury to the biceps tendon. Participation in physical therapy which includes strengthening, manual therapy, modalities, etc. will provide you with the best opportunity for recovery."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic