Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhomboid spasm and general workouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bookgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhomboid spasm and general workouts
    Posted: Apr 01 2010 at 1:47pm

I was trying to pull-start a garden tiller....I'm sure that's what strained the rhomboid (I'm pretty sure it was the rhomboid...That's where the tenderness and spasm was located...Plus that would fit with what I was doing in order to strain it - pulling on the cord of the tiller to try to start it.)  Thanks for your reply.  I've been doing the shoulder stretches as seen on this website, and I've been using light 2 - 5lb weights and working out all the major muslces in back, shoulders, and chest, etc....The muscle feels better already.  I'm going to stick with the weight training and see if that works.  I got lazy over the winter and didn't do much with weights....Hopefully that will solve it. 

Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2010 at 8:35am
What were you doing that resulted in your rhomboid strain? Is there distinct tenderness in the region of your rhomboid when you palpate it? The rhomboid muscle functions both as a sacpular retractor and stabilizer when bringing your arm up. Therefore, walking should be OK and wouldn't put significant strain on your rhomboid. In physical therapy, I would generally have my patients perform some light strengthening of the rhomboids with thera-tubing or light hand weights (ie. 3 - 5 lbs) to help maintain or increase strength. I would progress with light resistance to heavier resistance as patient tolerates. I would also have them perform a rhomboid/upper back stretch by bringing the arm across the body. Any other issues such at other areas are also addressed. Manual therapy including soft tissue mobilization & myofascial release could also be performed. If you continue to have problems, it may be a good idea to get an evaluation from a PT to determine if you truly have a rhomboid strain or if you have something else going on.   
bookgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2010 at 9:31am

A couple of weeks ago I strained my rhomboid (or lower trapezius or both) and had terrible spasms.  No pain, just spasms.  I saw my general practitioner and she gave me a muscle relaxer.  After a day of rest and a couple of relaxers, my muslce calmed down.

I walk 3.5 miles about 5 days a week and I try to do various muscle workouts (back one day, thighs the next, shoulder, chest, stomach, etc).  My rhomboid sometimes seems 'tender'.  No pain, just a funny feeling like it could spasm if it wanted to.

My question is....Can I continue to do my workouts?  I don't have any pain.  Would light weight trianing ( use 5 lb free weights) of the trapezious, rhomboids, lats, etc be better than doing nothing? Is the walking okay?  (I hate to give up the walking.....) 

Edited by bookgirl - Mar 30 2010 at 9:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic