Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

broken wrist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: broken wrist
    Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 11:47am
Our user asked: "i couldn't find any helpful exercises on your website for a broken wrist. I'm a healthy 54 yr old active female who had surgery - plate & 9 screws for comminuted ,impacted, intraarticular fracture of the distal left radius on march 5th - so this is 16 days later. at 10 day post op the surgeon said x-ray looked great - put on a removeable splint and said to pronate/supinate, make a fist/open, mildly bend wrist at least 4x a day. I also squeeze a sock. my fingers/knuckles are still swollen enough I think to impede my making a fist and if I let my arm hand down too long - the swelling gets worse. Seems logical that would happen I suppose, so I tend to keep it up more. I feel confident the highly recommended surgeon did a good job at surgery - but I wish I had more direction of how the recovery takes place. I realize the bones are still healing and my body has to adjust to the plate and I need to keep exercising it. So far progress is very slow. You're probably thinking i'm impatient but I don't know anyone this has happened to. Could I do harm by exercising too much or is it worse to not do enough? any help would be greatly appreciated."

Ask a PT Response: "You are correct that the swelling is limiting some of you progress with range of motion. Once the swelling resolves you should notice improvement with your range of motion. As far as your question goes "Could I do harm by exercising too much or is it worse to not do enough", my answer to my patients that ask me this question is to let pain be their guide. If they are performing the exercises which are prescribed by the surgeon or myself and they are having a tough time with them, they are instructed to do what they can either by decreasing reps, sets, duration, etc. If a exercise is still not tolerable they are instructed to not perform that exercise and to consult with me so that either the exercise can be modified or an alternative exercise can be issued. Not doing anything is not the greatest idea as muscles can become weaker, scar tissue can develop, muscles and tendons can become less pliable, etc.  If you would like more guidance with your recovery, may I suggest you work with an OT/PT or certified hand therapist to assist with your rehab. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic