Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Big toe range of motion after bunionectomy/sesamoi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big toe range of motion after bunionectomy/sesamoi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big toe range of motion after bunionectomy/sesamoi
    Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 12:45pm
Our user asked: "I am 6 months post-surgery for a bunionectomy/medial sesamoidectomy. Pre-surgery, my big toe would bend upwards about 80 degrees. Currently, it only bends up about 50 degrees, making pushups/plank position/lunges/standing on tiptoe and many other things hard. Is there some better way to regain ROM other than just pulling the toe back and holding it a few times daily? All I find online are instructions to use a few weeks post-surgery, not several months later. Thanks."

Ask a PT Response: "For patients of mine who have underwent this type of surgery and have similiar problems I will work on them with not only stretching, but also joint mobs, strengthening and modalities as well. Joint mobs (MTP & IP joints) will help loosen the joint to facilitate more motion, strengthening will help allow for sufficient strength throughout the entire range of motion and modalities such as ultrasound or heat will help with increasing tissue pliability. I hope this was helpful."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic