Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

awesome rotator cuff exercise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: awesome rotator cuff exercise
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 12:34am
Our user asked: "Years ago a PT showed me a rotator cuff exercise that allegedly was developed by the great MLB fastball pitcher Nolan Ryan. He claimed it extended Ryan's career by 5 years. Putting the hype aside, does anyone know just what that exercise might've looked like ? I forgot the execution of the exercise other than you use rubber tubing instead of free weights and it was VERY effective. An online illustration would be great but anyway it could be described will be appreciated."

Ask a PT Response: "I consulted with a colleague of mine who was an ATC for the Twins and he stated that he was familiar with the exercises developed by Nolan Ryan. He stated that they are similar to the exercises by Wilk as well. The exercises can be found in Nolan Ryan’s book: Nolan Ryan's Pitcher's Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Power, Precision, and Long-Term Performance. There are basically six exercises for shoulder conditioning involving thera-tubing which are mentioned in the book: 1) External Rotation (shoulder angled at 50 degrees abduction & 30 degrees of scaption) 2) Internal Rotation 3) Side Shoulder Raise (GH abduction with ER) 4) Side Shoulder Pulldown (With shoulder in scaption perform adduction and IR across opposite side of body) 5) Shoulder Extension/Elbow Extension (arm to side wit elbow at 90 degrees – perform GH extension, elbow extension and wrist flexion) 6) Elbow Flexion/Shoulder Flexion (PNF UE D2 Flexion pattern to armpit level) . These are just generalized instruction on how to perform the exercises. You can find the specific directions in the book. Here is a link to some great shoulder exercises as well:
http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.PDF
Thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic