Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Head & Neck Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

arm exercise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dconrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: arm exercise
    Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 7:32am
When I was diagnosed with bulging cervical discs, the doctor told me not to strain with my arms.  If I avoid everything that strains my arm muscles, they will turn to jello.  What can I do to keep muscle tone in my arms without agravating my condition?
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 2:12pm
Patients who have cervical discogenic syndrome should avoid lifting of heavy items as this could cause additional strain at the cervical spine/discs if compensatory patterns are substituted in order to achieve the activity of lifting a heavier weight. An exercise routine focusing on ensuring proper posture while lifting light weight for the upper extremities can be performed safely along with an exercise routine for the cervical spine when prescribed by a PT or other health care professional. Various equipment such as hand weights, tubing and weight machines can be utilized. Some examples of exercises focusing on light weight for the upper extremities can include biceps curls, tricep extension, shoulder flexion, shoulder abduction, etc...   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic