Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to extend at elbow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonjarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to extend at elbow
    Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 11:18am
Hi,

I've had an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember. I suspect it happened during high school weight lifting (10 or so years ago), but I can't be sure.  My problem is that I can fully extend either of my arms at the elbow.  There is no pain, but it's very noticeable (to me anyway), and actually quite limiting in some things.  Now, I am not sure what the cause of it is, but people have said that it's either low bicep flexibility, or bicep/tricep imbalance (tricep not being able to pull the arm straight).  To describe the severity , if i lay my arms flat on a desk, with the triceps against the table and extend the forearms down, the back of my wrists end up about 4-5 inches off the desk at full extension.

My questions are:

- Does anyone have insight as to what could cause something like this?
- How can I gain back full range of movement to my arms?

As a side note, my shoulders, wrists and fingers are very very inflexible as well.  I'm not sure if all of those are related, but maybe someone would find the information useful in regards to my question.  Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 2:26pm
Hi Mason - I would have to concur with what others have suggested to you in regards to having poor bicep flexibility or a muscle imbalance between the biceps/triceps. Another thing to check is the joint play/mobility at the ulnohumeral and radiohumeral joints. If there is hypomobility at these joints, motion such as extension may become restricted at the elbow joint as well. For my patients who have issues at the elbow similar to yours I would perform manual therapy techniques such as joint mobilization, soft tissue mobililzation or myofascial release. I would also have the patient perform bicep stretching exercises. I like to utilize a heat and hang exercise where heat is applied to the biceps while a heavy weight in the patients hand is utilized to stretch the biceps. If the triceps or biceps are weaker, strengthening exercises are also prescribed as well. Achieving an increase in range of motion at the elbow requires diligence and patience. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic