Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Head & Neck Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

upper trapezius strain - body building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
P90xreview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P90xreview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upper trapezius strain - body building
    Posted: Sep 28 2017 at 1:16am

that's great thanks for the help http://www.agirlwhomakes.com/reviews/p90x/

Sponsored Links

P90xreview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P90xreview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2017 at 1:07am
thats great i will also try the same
smithkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2012 at 2:45am
Hi,
Not sure if this will work for weight training, but it works for me during pilates. My instructor told us this trick, and its awesome for neck strain when doing mat work. Ask her to press her tongue into the roof of her mouth the next time she is feeling strain, and see if that relieves any tension. She may also need to use her core a bit more to support her upper body as opposed to letting her neck take the beating.
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2010 at 3:44pm
Our user aksed: "I'm a competitive bodybuilder and have been working very hard this season to build mass in my upper body. I've put on some substantial size in my shoulders, arms, chest and back over the past 8 months or so. About 5 - 6 months ago my neck started bothering me, at the origin point for the traps and the ligament that stems from it is very tight. It's gotten progressively worse and it's to the point where my neck is a "spindle of tight ropes" and its hard to keep my head up. I reviewed my training over the past year or so and realized that I never really focused up isolating my upper traps. No shrugs. I'm wondering if I may have created a muscular imbalance and my upper traps are too weak for the weight of the rest of my musculature. I'm also wondering the safest approach to go about fixing it."

Ask a PT Response: "I often find when working with some body builders that they become too focused on working one muscular group and forget to work other muscle(s) or groups. Like you mentioned, this more than likely will result in a muscular imbalance. Weakness of the upper trapezius decreases the ability to extend the cervical spine if weak on both sides and decreases the ability to approximate the acromion and the occiput (shoulder shrug). If you have been developing the musculature in the surrounding areas this could result in additional strain to the upper trapezius as this muscle in its current state may be insufficient for performing the required duties in relationship to the surrounding musculature. Stretching of cervical and shoulder musculature may be recommended based on the findings from the evaluation conducted on my patients along with strengthening exercises. For your case it may be a good idea to consult with a PT for at least an evaluation to determine if the the upper trapezius is indeed involved and to obtian a plan of care tailored to your specific needs. My patients who are experiencing this condiiton often require manual therapy as well to help release trigger points along with joint mobilization technqiues to facilitate proper arthrokinematics once the injury has been sustained. Best of luck to you."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic