Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Alternative Medicine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accupuncture & PT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accupuncture & PT
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 1:42pm

ABPT

11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just curious to know if anyone refers their patient's to receive the services of an accupuncturist when they are unable to help reduce pain and tissue irritability significantly? I will occasionally do this when my patient has plateaued and I feel I am no longer able to effectively help the patient proceed to the next step of recovery.

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  14:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ABPT. Thanks for the recommendation on the books. As far as referring a patient to an accupuncturist, I have in fact done that for some of my patients. I find that with patients that have myofascial dysfunctions accupuncture is a great tool when incorporated with physical therapy treatment. I actually did a paper on accupuncture and the effects on carpal tunnel syndrome back in grad school. This was about 6-7 years ago when the scientific studies were in the preliminary trials for studying accupuncture and CTS. Despite this, the preliminary findings were quite promising for CTS and for other areas such as assisting in smoking cessation and with controlling morning sickness in women who are pregnant. I'll try to find that paper and share it if I still have it. As far as the scientific rationale on why accupuncture could be effective, my research revealed that opiates (feel good chemicals) are released when the needles are inserted in strategic areas. This could be why people who undergo accupuncture usually feel better and have less pain afterwards. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  13:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't find my research paper.
Go to Top of Page

MadCityPT

4 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  20:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I frequently refer patients to acupuncture for various reasons. There is quite a detailed scientific rationale as to why it works, and it has been used in treating almost every ailment for thousands of years. In a nut shell, it has to do with the energy in your body and the meridians the energy flows on. If there is a blockage somewhere, tissues and systems are affected. Acupuncture can be used to treat pain, as well as structural and neurological problems. You do have to remember that not every human body responds the same. Too often, we in the "western medicine" field, tend to think of the human body as a machine that we can "fix the broken parts". We often forget the many components that can lead to pain and dysfunction in a patient's life. Many complementary medicine disciplines can be very very useful. The more we know about other disciplines and treatment options, the more we become better PTs. Our patients will get better and we will build a great referral source. It is a win-win situation.
I have had excellent reception from acupuncturists when I call them to discuss a patient that I may send them. Just like any referral source, once you find a good one that you like, it becomes a very beneficial working relationship. I will find a website for you to visit to find more information.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic