Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhomboid problems and thoracic outlet syndrome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhomboid problems and thoracic outlet syndrome
    Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 2:42pm
Our user asked: "I have been diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome ans I have an exremely stretched / weak rhomboid (operating at 25% only) I was intrested in some exercises that would help strengthen my back and lessen the constant pain from both conditions."

Ask a PT Response: "Postural training and strengthening are just some of the treatment options a PT would work on with a patient that has TOS and rhomboid issues. By strengthening the rhomboids and scapular stabilizers this will help with reducing the forward shoulder posture that some patients with TOS display. This forward/round shoulder posture increases the likelihood for impingement in the thoracic outlet region. Physical therapists can prescribe scapular retraction and scapular stabilization exercises to help with strengthening muscles such as the rhomboids. Examples of such exerices for these patients includes rows, prone retraction & stabilization, rythmic stabilization, etc. If you are able to, it may be a good idea to at least get an evaluation from a PT so you can obtain a more detailed plan of care and home exercise program. Best of luck to you."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic