Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rhomboid strain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rhomboid strain
    Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 2:07pm
Our user asked: "Hi my son is almost 14 he has a very sore rhomboid muscle , got it while playing football doctor said he could start back this week hitting , but its very sore -- and hitting at practice is very painful - but he really really wants to play , hes one of the best on our team and its killing him what can i do ( we are icing and heating , taking motrin ) is it something to work thru or rest , hes willing to do what ever to get back out there im just lost on what to do , we also have a home gym machine if anything like that will help please help."

Ask a PT Response: "Rest from activities which would result in further irritation to the rhomboid is extremely important. Return to sport too soon could result in a longer recovery time or additional injury to the affected muscle. The main function of the rhomboid muscle is to retract the shoulder and for stabilization when utilizing the shoulder joint. For my patients who have sustained this injury I would have them work on strethcing (ie. arm across chest stretch, interlocking fingers with arms out straight upper back stretch, etc.), strengthening (ie for progression of exercises. prone scapular retraction & stabilization with light hand weight -> resisted scapular retraction with tubing -> ball toss off trampoline/rebounder etc...), soft tissue mobilization/myofascial release, etc. I will have my patients return to sport when they demonstrate sufficient range of motion at the shoulder and shoulder blade without pain and normal strength at the shoulder and shoulder blade regions. If you are able to, it may be a good idea to have your son start working with a PT who has sports medicine experience so that he can return to sport safely sooner. Best of luck to your son."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic