Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PT for distal biceps repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PT for distal biceps repair
    Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 1:01pm
Our user asked: "I recently tore my left bicep while tackling a suspect. I had surgery 0ne week later. I am experiencing a lot of pain in my wrist and my forearm. My grip is also very weak. What type of PT exercises will I be doing to improve my condition? I also tore my proximal bicep on the same arm approximately 10 years ago. What type of cautions should I take to reduce the risk of injuring the arm again? Should I wear a bicep brace?"

Ask a PT Response: "The biceps brachii muscle has several functions which include bending the elbow, supinating the forearm (twists the forearm out/away) and flexing the arm (bringing the arm straight up in front of you). With a distal biceps repair, patients should take great caution when just out of surgery to avoid actively performing the above mentioned motions. Muscles are like rubberbands which connect to bone on two ends in order to move a joint. If the patient contracts the muscle it will pull at the ends (site where distal biceps was repaired and proximal end) thus increasing the risk of compromising the repair. Therefore, passive range of motion exericses are usually prescribed after such a surgery along with gentle gripping exercise to help maintain range of motion and grip strength. Exercises are usually than progressed to active assisted range of motion and then active range of motion exercises. Strengthening is usually progressed later on down the road as well. It may also be a good idea to ask your surgeon what he or she recommends for exercise and progression as well as the surgeon will know your condition the best. If you are able to, seeing a PT may not be a bad idea so you can get better direction and optimize your recovery time while minimizing reinjury. An immobilizer may be used at the elbow to help protect the surgery and prevent the patient from performing activities which may compromise the surgery. Best of luck to you."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic