Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ankle sprain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ankle sprain
    Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:19am
Our user asked: "I sprained my ankle 17 days ago. X-rays say nothing is broken and I was given an airsplint to wear. I have no swelling nor bruising anymore, almost no pain and feel pretty good about walking on it so have started short daily walks of 25 min. or so. Is it too soon to walk? I know I can't resume running, but am I hurting anything by just walking?"

Ask a PT Response: "Glad to hear your ankle is doing better. Usually what I tell my patients who have similiar injuries such as yours and are doing farily well is to gradually progress their activity level. For example, if they can tolerate walking for 20 minutes without pain or an increase in swelling at the ankle, than the next day they can progress to 25-30 minutes of walking. Should they begin to experience increase pain or swelling as a result of increasing the duration for walking, than they are instructed to decrease their activity level again. I will usually prescribe strengthening/stabilization exercises to my patients who have sustained ankle sprains as well to help them progress to and tolerate higher level activities such as walking on uneven surfaces, running, jumping, etc. Examples of such exercises can include: isometric ankle strengthening, resistive ankle strengthening exercises with thera band/tubing, forward lunges/sideways lunges, single leg stance on cushion/balance board, etc. Best of luck to you and thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic