Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Right elbow loss of ROM and some osteoarthritis!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Right elbow loss of ROM and some osteoarthritis!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right elbow loss of ROM and some osteoarthritis!
    Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 4:04pm
Our user asked: "I have a loss of motion on extension and flexion (about 17-20 degrees). Have seen a Ortho and will have EMG this week. Anything I can do in the mean time to stay away from surgery?? I can still play golf :), but cannot lift weights...the pain is to much. Clicking and "catching" occurs with some good old pain/discomfort. Six months ago the loss of motion was not this much! Thanks"

Ask a PT Response: "Regaining motion at the elbow will require some patience and hard work as gains can sometimes be slow. Range of motion gains will significantly be dependent on the severity of the osteoarthritis at your elbow. Bony spurs or other structural deficits at the elbow can affect the ability to obtain additional range of motion. For my patients who have deficits with range of motion at the elbow, I would often prescribe static strethcing along with the use of a hot pack. For example, I would have my patient hold a weight in his/her hand and let the weight stress the elbow into extension. I would also have them utilize the uninvolved upper extremity as well to assist with stretching. Joint mobilization techniques could also be performed to the elbow joint of the patient as well. Since you are concerned about avoiding surgery, it may be a good idea to work with a PT to see if you can achieve additional gains with ROM and function. Best of luck to you."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic