Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hairline Fracture?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBraden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairline Fracture?
    Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 2:26pm
I have fractured my Tibia.  The break was so small that it was not diagnosed from the first set of x-rays in the ER.  Only a week later (after I walked around on it for a week) did the two parallel lines about an inch apart (perpedicular to the length of the tibia) show up on x-ray.  The break is completely non-displaced and seems stable.  The Dr did not cast it or put me in a boot so I am assuming he thinks it is plenty stable.  He told me to get crutches or a cane and stay off it as much as possible and come back in 4 weeks.

Here is the freak athlete question - can I start riding the stationary bike now?  It is accident +11 days.  It hurts to walk on it, but I am pretty sure I could do spin bike painless.  I am a competitive cyclist trying to keep my hopes alive for a race on Oct 17 - if I don't get back on the bike soon my fitness will deteriorate enough to kill my chances for the race.  If I can get back on the bike - should I be doing anything else as well besides stretching?  My ankle is stiff and it is painful to move ankle through ROM.  Strangely, the thing I worry about it cluipping in and out of the pedals and what weird stress that might put on the bone... I really think just pedaling won't hurt it as long as I stay seated and don't overdo it.  I'll swim too, but that won't keep me from losing some of the leg strength and fitness.

I could wait until next Friday if that is the better course of action (21 days post injury) because I will be out of town for some of next week in the mountains - not enjoying the mountains... just sitting in a house up there because I don't want to aggravate the injury by falling... yeah.

Sponsored Links

grpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 11:28am
Just curious what the mechanism of injury was which resulted in you sustaining a fracture to your tibia? If the doctor did not give you limitations with weight bearing (ie. non weight bearing or partial weight bearing) and you are walking around with a crutch and putting weight through your lower extremity, I don't think it would be contraindicated to ride on a stationary bike/recumbent bike at a LOW RESISTANCE. However, it may be a good idea to check with your MD first.  As far as the spin bike, it probably would not be the best idea to utilize this type of bike given the reason you gave and because the fly wheel is weighted which requires more control from the rider compared to a regular stationary bike. With any injury which is stable, maintaining range of motion and strength is especially important. ROM exercises and gentle strengthening exericses such as isometrics are usually performed. Basically for exercises, you would want to perform open chained exercises (non weight bearing) and avoid high impact activities. Otherwise, waiting until next Friday might not be a bad idea.    
CBraden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBraden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 8:58am
Thanks for the reply. The injury was a result of direct impact with a rock as a result of falling off my mountain bike. Doc said to walk with a cane to help me get around, increase load bearing as I could manage. Doc said I must have hit it very hard to break a healthy bone. I am a triathlete, so weight bearing exercise and calcium intake apparently helped make this less of an injury than it could have been if my bones were not strengthened by training and diet.

I waited until injury plus 21 days to ride spin bike, I am a very experienced cyclist (experienced with fixed gear riding which in some ways has similar char' to spin bike) so I am very careful not to fight the flywheel or put major stress on the bone. No pain at all from the injured area on spin bike, now have four hours riding on it with no negative symptoms. I do feel like I lost some cardio fitness in three weeks though. Easier to get my heart rate up and keep it up than it was pre injury.

I'll still walk with a cane to keep the injury from stress most of the time until I go see Dr again next week.

ROM in injured ankle is improving with each spin bike session. I'll start stretching soon, taking it very easy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic