Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sports hernia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sports hernia
    Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 5:30pm
Our user asked: "I had a sports hernia surgery 9 weeks ago with Dr X. I had surgery in both of my groins; I had a lot of pain before the surgery in my right groin and little bit in my left. I am contacting you because I have heard good things about you and that you are very helpful. I still have pain in my right groin 9 weeks after the surgery. It is the same level of pain I had before the surgery and it haven't been any better. Dr X gave me some directions how to do my rehab but it haven't helped me really much. I am really worried because it has been so long time now and I am not able to play soccer because its still hurts. I had my surgery on April 16th Week 1- I was recovering from the surgery but have pain in the right groin. Week2- I had pain in my right groin when I walk. Dr X calls me and tells me, that's common; I should try to jog. Week 3- I jogged for 3 days and had pain in my groin. I played soccer for one day (45 min) and it felt good when I played. But the day after I was really sour in my abdominal muscles and had pain when I walked( I think it was to early to play soccer) And it almost felt that I reinjured me again. Week4- I rest the entire week because I had pain in my abdominal muscles and my right groin. Week 5- I Jogged for 3 days but had pain in the right groin, in the 4th day I played soccer again to so see how it felt. It didn't hurt as much as it did last time when I played soccer, but still I am not close to 100 % without pain. Week 6-I have rest for one whole week but still have pain when I walk in my right groin. It doesn't seem to go away. I had a meeting with Dr X and he told me that everything is fine and on plan. I should be ready to play after 2 weeks of rehab, with core strength of my abdominal muscles and strengthen my right adduction, and deep tissue massage. Week 7- I did rehab every day as he told me to do, but I still had pain in my right groin. And I was really sore over my whole body and groin. Week 8-It started to feel better, but the pain was still there in my right groin. I had deep tissue massage and it felt much better but still not pain free. Week 9- I tried to play soccer on Monday and it went good, but it started to hurt when I pushed it to much. I took 4 days off and played a 90 min game. I didn't run a lot on the field because my groin felt weird. I didn't have any pain, but I took 6 Ivprovin before the game. But the next day I was really sore in my both groins but I didn't have any pain in my abdominal muscles. So Today Wednesday I am still sore in my right groin and it feels very slow and tight. I am very worried and have no idea to what to do. Do you have any suggestion or I have done things wrong. Dr X doesn't take this serious and don't gives me any specific details. I am really frustrating because I really want to play. Please help me doctor I really need help.

Ask a PT Response: "Thank you for your inquiry. I am very surprised that you were cleared to perform jogging and participating in soccer after just three weeks out after surgery. For conditions such as a sports hernia repair I would gradullay progress my patients into higher level activities as I want to make sure that my patients have sufficient time to heal from the surgery. It usually can take anywhere from 4-6 wks before I have my patients attempt jogging or running. It sounds like you may have done too much too soon. I know you would like to get back to soccer soon, but I would not recommend you compromise the surgery or risk reinjuring by returning to sport too soon. It sounds like rehab is helping. Perhaps you could benefit from additional visits of rehab to help you develop further strength and decreasing pain. Perhaps the therapist could also incorporate exercises which would relate to actions required to play soccer so as to train the specific muscles for return to sport. What I usually tell my patients is that if they are experiencing pain, to back off or stop performing the activity which is causing the pain so as not to cause further inflammation or injury. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic