Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Head & Neck Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trapezius Muscle Strain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trapezius Muscle Strain
    Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 1:08pm
Our user asked: "Hello - I have had soreness in my right trapezius muscle for many weeks - possibly as long as two months. I am a triathlete so I exercise regularly including swimming, cycling, and running. I do not notice that exercise makes the pain worse, and during exercise I am usually comfortable. But while sitting at my desk, and going through daily activities (which include taking care of my three kids - one of whom is 30 pounds and still must be lifted at times) I do notice tenderness and soreness. It has gotten to the point where I need to do something. It's obviously not going away on its own. I saw the stretches on your site and will start doing those. What else can I do? I have a regular electric heating pad and also a gel pack that can be microwaved. Would an ibuprofen regimen help at all? When I sit at my desk I use an external mouse and keyboard, but I always use my right hand for the mouse, and it's no wonder it's the right trapezius that is in pain. Please send suggestions! Thanks"

Ask a PT Response: "Stretching is just one treatment option for dealing with an upper trapezius dysfunction. For patients that have problems with this condition, they may also display weakness at the neck, traps, shoulders, scapular stabilizers and core. Should there be weakness at one of the areas, the upper trapezius might be called in to assist with a functional activity which it is not use to doing. The body is like a functional kinetic chain and will usaully do whatever it takes through compensation to achieve a functional task. Another thing which I would look at is to see how your sitting posture is at your desk. The following link describes proper ergonomics with sitting at a desk: http://www.fitsugar.com/1669975 . Modalities such as a hot packs can also help promote tissue pliability and give some relief of pain. Soft tissue mobililzation/myofascial release and massage are also commonly utilized as well to help a patient with a upper trapezius dysfunction. If you are able to, it may be a good idea to consult with a live physical therapist to obtain a more detailed plan of care. Good luck!"
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic