Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back to work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back to work
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 12:00am
Our user asked: "realize this is for clinical questions mainly but wondering if a PT would have any suggestion to help another PT who has been out of the field for about 5 years now looking to start back part-time. How do I get back in touch - that is writing notes, evals, hands on ect... before going on interviews so I don't embarass myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance."

Ask a PT Response: "No problem. We are here to help and answer all questions. My advice for you would be to first decide what area of physical therapy you would like to return to. Then review your course material for this field from when you were at your educational institution. For SOAP note writing I would recommend you refer to Ginge Kettenbach's book - "Writing SOAP Notes". This is book is very helpful with writing SOAP notes and I often refer it to my students that I am a clinical instructor to. For refreshing your goniometry skills I would recommend the book by Norkin & White - "Measurement of Joint Motion- A Guide to Goniometry". This is an excellent resource with great illustrations. To refresh your anatomy and muscle testing I would recommend the book by Kendall, McCreary & Provance - "Muscles - Testing and Function". If you decide to go into the orthopedic realm of physical therapy I would recommend the following books by Saunders & Saunders - "Evaluation, Treatment and Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders" and Magee - "Orthopedic Physical Assessment". Definitely refresh on the material and practice on your friends and family. Afterwards I would inquire at a facility for the setting you would like to obtain a job in and see if there are volunteering/shadowing opportunities. This is where, I believe things will come back to you the fastest and you will learn the most. When you feel comfortable and confident enough for practicing physical therapy again, than I would began applying for positions and preparing for the interview process. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us should you have additional questions or require more input."
Sponsored Links

Previous CPT Forum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 12:44am

georgeu

6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  15:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Practice, pratice, practice. That would be the best advise to getting back to practicing PT again. Also shadowing a PT would be a great ideal.

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  14:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice above. Other books to consider if you will be returning to the Outpatient setting is Clinical Orthopaedic Rehabilitation (second edition) by Brotzman & Wilk and Physical Rehabilitation of the Injured Athlete (second edition) by Andrews, Harrelson & Wilk.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic