Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Extremity & Knee Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

knee pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knee pain
    Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 2:48pm
Our user asked: "I'm a 20 year old male, slightly overweight(football player). Around 2 1/2 years ago I injured my right knee playing high school football first by landing on it directly and then by twisting it. The pain that resulted was a dull pain every time I climbed several long flights of stairs, heavily exercised, or had to keep my knee in the same position for a long period of time(e.g. going to a movie, or a long car ride). Eventually I went to physical therapy and my PT told me it was probably tendinitis. After a few months of PT the pain went away. Fast forwarding to now, about two years after the initial pain has gone away I started an exercise program that includes 45 minutes to an hour of daily recumbent bicycle cardio. All was well for the first few weeks but one day this week I got this pain on the inside or left side of my right knee after exercising. The pain started out pretty light and just occurred when I had to use stairs and support all my weight on one knee, but now about a week later (and continued exercise)there is almost constant pain in my knee. Every time I extend it or move it I get sharp pains. My knee is pretty tight right now but there isn't any swelling I can see. Also, the pain seems to run along side the left edge of my knee cap if that is relevant. Any ideas?"

Ask a PT Response: "The pain could be a result of a variety of issues. You could have medial meniscus damage, medial collateral ligament injury/sprain, patellofemoral dysfunction, etc.. Without physically evaluating you it would be very difficult to determine a physical therapy diagnosis. I would recommend you discontinue performing activities which aggravate your condition and consult with a PT. He or she will be able to better determine what may be going on at your knee. Good luck!"
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic