Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Head & Neck Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cervical Disc Herniation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cervical Disc Herniation
    Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 1:54pm
Our user asked: "Hello, I was diagnosed with a herniation at level C6-C7 back in September. I started to feel better in October, and flared the injury up by lifting things that were very heavy. After the acute pain went from severe to just mild, I started doing cervical traction. I continue with the traction, along with bouncing on a exercise ball (something I picked up on the Internet that is supposed to help bring oxygen into the disc). While I am much better, I still feel some radicular pain at times when coughing, sneezing or singing. What else can I do to help the healing process and get rid of the radicular pain?"

Ask a PT Response: "Sounds like you are doing well and on your road to recovery. For my patients who continue to experience some sx with activities which exert stress and pressure on the disc, I continue to have them work on cervical strengthening/stabilization exercises, cervical retraction exercises, and McKenzie based exercises along with the home cervical traction. If my patient's condition doesn't improve further I would usually refer my patient to an orthopedic MD or pain management MD for a consult for possible cortisone injections. The cortisone acts as an antiimflammatory which may assist with decreasing the inflammation at the disc. Good luck and thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic