Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Extremity & Knee Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

knee injury

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knee injury
    Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 9:02am
Our user asked: "I was exercising at the gym in a step class when all of a sudden I felt a sudden shot of pain in my left knee and I had to stop immediately. It was like my knee gave out. I have been putting ice on my knee and wrapping with a Ace bandage and taking ibuprofen. I injured it on Wed. and it is Sat. It seems like the knee is getting better but it is still very swollen. How can I know if I am type I injury versus type IV? I am hoping the injury is not that bad and it will heal on it's own. What should I do for a full recovery without surgery and should I change my workout or take something to help prevent this injury in the future. I absolutely do not want surgery."

Ask a PT Response: "Without physically examining you, I would not be able to determine what is going on at your knee. The cause of your pain could be attributed to a number of injuries ie. ligament sprain, muscle strain, meniscus tear, etc... As far as your question goes about classification, I am assuming you are referring to ligamentous injuries. Type I ligament sprain - the ligament is stretched but not torn, Type II ligament sprain - there is mild loosness or laxity at the knee with partial tear of the ligament, Type III - the joint is very loose and unstable because the ligament is completely torn. It would be very difficult for yourself to classify your injury. A trained medical professional would be able to determine the extent of injury with confirmation from a MRI. For my patients who have sustained knee injuries, I would have them avoid activities which would exacerbate their condition. Simple exercises are usually prescribed to them to help them maintain range of motion and strength while they recover ie. quad sets, heel slides, ham sets, short arch quads, straight leg raises, etc.. Icing of the knee is also recommended to them as well to help control the swelling. Should your condition not improve further, I would definitely get a consult from your MD or PT. If there is something going on at your knee they will be able to determine what the cause is and hopefully help you get on the road to recovery. Often times surgery can be avoided if the injury is not serious and the patient participates in physical therapy. Good luck and thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic