Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pain after anterior hip replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pain after anterior hip replacement
    Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 9:53am
Our user asked: "I had a hip replaced ten weeks ago. Toe step rehab for six weeks. Been in PT once a week and doing about 14 exercises twice daily. I have a lot of pain in femur and knee constantly. Very hard to stand up and walk about with cane. How long does pain last in terms of weeks, months? I ice several times a day and try to walk outside about .03 mile."

Ask a PT Response: "How long pain lasts will vary from individual to individual. I would suggest you have further discussion with your PT or surgeon to determine what may be contributing to your pain (ie. soft tissue, mechanics, weakness, etc..). After 10 weeks out, most patients who have undergone a hip replacement are no longer experiencing severe pain in the region of the femur. Pain at the knee could be a result of a change in walking mechanics as a result of the surgery which is putting stress to regions of the knee where your previous walking pattern was not. An X-ray of the knee might be a good ideal to rule out arthritis of the knee. Participation in aquatic therapy may be beneficial as well and allow for increase tolerance to acticvity. Best of luck to you and thank you for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic