Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

left hip clicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: left hip clicks
    Posted: Nov 12 2008 at 3:49pm
Our user asked: "Greetings! About six months ago my left hip began to click. The problem has gotten worse. Now everytime I walk,"click, click, click." Several websites said, "don't worry - normal variation." But, it drives me crazy! What exercises might help decrease the clicking? In the past USAF physical therapists helped me with knee pain, shoulder pain and wrist pain. I hope you can help."

Ask a PT Response: "You mention you are experiencing clicking at your hip. Are you experiencing pain along with the clicking? Clicking by itself doesn't necessarily mean you should be concern. Many individuals experience clicking and have no deficits or pain. Often times clicking is associated with osteoarthitis as the deterioration of the hip joint results in abnormal arthrokinematics and results in clicking and pain. Strengthening/stretching of the hip muscles along with stretching of the hip capsule are often prescribed to patients by physical therapists. Exercises prescribed by physical therapists to these patients can include and is not limited to: resisted hip abduction/adduction/flexion/extension/internal rotation/external rotation, ITB/Glut stretch, hip flexor stretch, groin/adductor stretch, partial forward/sideways lunges, partial squats, single leg exercises, etc.. Samples of these exercises prescribed by PT's can be found on our exercise video page. If you have not already seen in a PT, it may be a good idea to see one now as your condition has worsened. He or she will be able to conduct a thorough exam to determine what might be causing the clicking and prescribe the appropriate exercises for you. I hope this helps and thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic