Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question about what to do with ankle swelling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about what to do with ankle swelling
    Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 9:45pm

I am curious if the swelling in my ankle will go down by it self.  I had surgery a month ago for two assist on my right ankle.  My ankle if very swollen.  When I went in for my second post op apt.  the Dr decided that I should go for PT.  I just had a apt today with the PT.  It really did not go all that great.  I was put on a machine that squeeze my ankle and kept it very cold for 15 minutes.  When the machine was started everyone left the room.  I very quickly felt lots of pain there was way too much pleasure.  It would have not been so bad however it is 12 hours latter and I still feel lots of discomfort.  I was told before my surgery that I would be fully back to normal three weeks after surgery.  That if definitely not the case.  I consider my self partly to blame for that I am not one who ask many questions.  To get to my question I don't really want to go back to PT and am really wondering if I just give my ankle a few month if it will just go back to normal by it self.  I am thinking about just cancelling my pt and surgeon apt and wait and see if it gets better by it self.  The only other thing that I have to wonder about to if after Christmas I am going over seas for the military.  I will be expected to run and do phicisal activities once when I am over there.  Will do any damage running on a swollen ankle?

Thanks so much for your help

Shawn

Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 7:46am

First of all just curious what kind of surgery you underwent? The type of surgery you underwent is one factor which will determine your recovery process. Often times after surgery, swelling/edema, can last for quite awhile. I have had patient's, in some cases, who have continued to have swelling as late as 3-4 months after their ankle surgery. Although you might have felt that your PT session did not go that well, it is important for you to be aware that PT treatment will not just include edema management but help you achieve normal range of motion, strength, joint mobility, somatosensory/proprioception, gait and function as well. I would also take caution about stopping PT, since you are in the millitary and will be required to perform high level physical activities at the end of the year. Your ankle may not be ready to handle such stresses if you stopped PT and have not been performing the required plan of care to maximize the recovery of your ankle.

Shawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2008 at 10:34pm

Thanks so much for your reply.  To answer your question about my surgery it was for a Glangion cyst.  There were two of them on the same ankle so I have two areas that were cut.  The Doctor said that there were very large.   I was told by the PT that I do have less range of motion then my other foot.  However I do have a lot more strength then I should have at this point.  I went back to work a week and a half after surgery when the Dr said it was ok.  He did tell  me to wear my walking boot.  I very quickly found out it was not safe for me to be walking around up in the air doing construction work.  So for safety I found a shoe that I was able to fit into for working.  So I believe that I do have the strength but my ankle to so tight and swollen.

Thanks again so much for your response.

Shawn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic