Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > Professional Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vital signs at work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vital signs at work
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 1:09pm

I P.T.

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  18:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello this is my story, unfortunately, at the in-patient clinic I am employed at vital signs are not given the attention they require by the therapy staff. Myself and 2 other P.T.'s have requested an electronic blood pressure cuff to our supervisor a number of times, but after making up several excuses he now believes that manual cuffs are as efficient as electronic ones. We have explained to him the benefits and advantages of having quick access to vital signs as opposed to having to deal with taking pressures in a loud gym where stethoscopes are nowhere found and only if nursing "lends" you a manual blood pressure cuff. Well, he is now asking for evidence that shows how an electronic cuff is better than a manual cuff. I've looked, but no luck. HELP!

MMPT

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried contacting the company that makes the electronic blood pressure cuff to see if they have any literature to support your case?

Sponsored Links

Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2009 at 7:02am
I am a PT who takes BP regularly in noisy areas.  I have used both.  You need a good stethoscope to hear the sounds.  You need to spend around 50 or so dollars to have the beginning of a good stethoscope.  I find that the electronic blood pressure cuff work for many people.  Higher blood pressures and low pressures tend to error out.  Then I have to do it manually.  I would purchase my own if my director would not.  Take a course by Stephen Tepper, PT, PhD, CCC.  He is an awesome speaker and he will change your directors mind on vital signs.  I would also recommend a SaO2 monitor.

I am a respiratory therapist as well as a DPT.  I have convinced my collegues the importance of taking baseline vitals on everyone as well as height and weight.  Remenber, the move for differential diagnosis by PT.

Best wishes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic