Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shoulder Blade Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChandlerHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoulder Blade Pain
    Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 4:50pm
I am a hairstylist and business owner who works long hours doing haircuts, color, blowdrys with my left arm held above clients hair all day long.  I usually always have upper back pain and neck pain that is pretty bad.  Some nights I go home in pain, and lay on golf balls, tennis balls, lean up against corners of the wall etc. just to trigger point some of those areas.  Recently I noticed that when I swallow solid food that the area where I am feeling the pain (LEFT rhomboid area)it  is either spasming or intensifys as the food move through that area.  

At first I just ignored it because it felt like I had maybe slept wrong or pulled a muscle.
After 4 weeks of the same pain I decided to go see a doctor to find out what was going on. I had a chest x-ray, EKG and blood work done. I guess they want to rule out other things.  After everything came back normal, I am still dealing with pain in the upper back along shoulder blade and more pain in that area with eating.

When I sit in a chair and look over my left shoulder twisting my body, I can feel this tremendous muscle strain right in the rhomboid area. It feels like something is torn.

Yesterday I also noticed that I feel a burning pain in my neck trapezius area, like a muscle burn.  I also spend alot of time on the computer after getting off work doing hair.

So could this possibly be rhomboid strain?  Everything I read about it sounds exactly what I am feeling.  If I have to keep doing hair (which I have to I own the salon) how will I be able to heal this since I can't take time off to rest or repair this??
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 9:42am
ChandlerHair,
Without physically examining you it would be very difficult to determine if you have strained your rhomboid. The rhomboid muscle assists with pulling your arm back and helps with stabilizing your shoulder blade. With your occupation, I would assume you would certainly be utilizing this muscle quite frequently. I would recommend that you consult with a PT to determine what may be causing your pain. With your symptoms associated with swallowing I would definitely want to have either your MD or PT rule out any disc pathology at your cervical spine. Good luck! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic