Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Orthopedics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Total Knee Replacement --massage therapy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 5:01pm
Our user asked: "I have a patient who's friend had both knees replaced. On the first knee she had conventional rehab but on th second she had massage therapy only and felt it was much nicer and had just as good results. I have never heard of massage only for a Total Knee. Do you have any info on this? I know the knee was done in Salt Lake City. Thank you"

Ask a PT Response: "After speaking to a few colleagues we have not heard of just massage therapy being performed on a patient who has underwent a total knee replacement. We will have to look further into the literature in regards to utilizing massage therapy only vs PT with manual therpay incorporation. One would think it would be difficult to achieve gains with ROM if ROM and stretching exercises are not accompanied with the manual therapy treatment (massage). Another issue to consider would be if insurance would cover charges for massage therapy only for treating a patient s/p TKA as in most cases massage is not considered a skilled service. I'll let you know if we find anything else. Thanks for your submission."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic