Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Sports Medicine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sports S/P bankart repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sports S/P bankart repair
    Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 8:47am
Our user asked: "Would you recommend a pt. returning to ice hockey or any other sport after a arthroscopic bankart repair?"

Ask a PT Response: "With any patient you would have to treat her or him on an individual basis. In regards to your question, return to sports would be determined on the extent of the surgery and the mechanism of injury. For example, a larger tear compared to a smaller tear would most likely require a longer period of recovery and rehab prior to return to sport. An individual who sustained an injury as a result of a one time traumatic experience compared to an individual who has a history of frequent dislocations would probably require less time for recovery. For the patient that has had frequent dislocations, the surgeon would most likely want additional time for healing and scarring to occur prior to beginning therapy. In general, for most patients, it usually takes at least 6 months after the surgery along with rehab prior to return to sports. Some sample protocols for various surgeons for a Bankart repair can be found at: http://www.cyberpt.com/cyberptprotocols.asp. Thanks for using CyberPT."
Sponsored Links

LauraDPT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraDPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 8:55pm
Thank you for this post. I have to evaluate a person with bankhart lesion for the first time ever on Monday. I like to know how long typical recovery lasts so I have a basis to go off of.
athenmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athenmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 3:03am
Thanks for such a great post.. My Brother who is a Rugby player had a Bankart lesion two years ago and was good after treatment after one year only. But his doctor stopped him to play the game again. Now I will encourage him to start playing again. He will be happy to do so i know..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic