Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > Professional Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future technology's impact on physical therapy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future technology's impact on physical therapy
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 1:06pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  13:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "As an aspiring PTA I am interested in how the use of future technology may change the role of the physical therapist assistant in the next 5-10 years and what some of that technology may be? Thank you"

Ask a PT Response: "That is an excellent question. With the advancement in technology and healthcare I think PT's and PTA's will be needed even more. With new technology and surgical interventions, patients are spending less time in the hospitals and recovering faster. The need for our profession is even more essential as these patients will require our services to help achieve optimal functional outcomes. Some examples of advancement in surgeries can include total hip and knee surgeries and even ACL repairs.

With the continuation of skyrocketing healthcare costs it is even more important for our profession to maximize each therapy visit for our patients. If that includes utilizing technology to maximize outcomes, than these technologial devices should be utilized. With computers and various programs we will be able to assess and analyze our patients better. Examples of some technological devices can include video analysis software, CPM machines, infared devices ie. anoydyne or myo-orthotics technology ie. walkaide.

I also believe the internet will facilitate a lot of this change as more and more people are utilizing the internet for various services. I would not be surprised if some therapy services are conducted via web cam or other technological means in the very near future. I will post this question on the message board and would be very interested to see what others think as well. Thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic