Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Pediatric Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torticollis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torticollis
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 9:16pm

concerned mom

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  20:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 10-month old son seems to have a problem with his neck and head. His head tilts to the side, and he seems to look only toward one direction. I asked my pediatrician and she said it may be "Torticollis". She suggested Physical Therapy. What is torticollis and how can PT help?

amanda

2 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerned mom,
Torticollis (meaning twisting of the neck)is a condition that can occur in infants where there is wrying of the neck in relationship to the head. There are many causes for torticollis with "congenital muscular torticollis" being the most common form. With this condition a muscle in the neck, called the stenocleidomastoid, has shortened which results in the infant holding his/her head to one side with the chin pointing to the opposite side. Physical therapists can help an infant with this condition by performing stretches and encouraging parents to facilitate postural and positional adjustments with day to day activities. If this condition is not treated, the head/neck position can become permanent and result in flattening of the head/face of the infant on the involved side. From what you have posted it sounds like you should follow your physician's advise and consult with a physical therapist as soon as possible. The sooner this is taken care of the better the outcome for your infant.
Amanda

Also check out http://www.torticolliskids.org/ for more info.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic