Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sprained foot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sprained foot
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 9:15pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "About 5 weeks ago I sprained my foot while playing indoor football. While running full speed toward the arena wall, I planted my toes and ball of my left foot on to the wall while my heel was still on the floor (trying to change my direction quickly using the wall) and felt a pop with pain. I figured I over extended my plantar. Swelling occurred as well as black and blue around the outside of the foot. I visited a doctor who took X-rays and assured me there were no fractures or broken bones. I followed instructions to heal (i.e. ice, elevate, no sports for 4 weeks). I just started soccer and realized that there is still some discomfort in my foot when I try to move laterally or run at full speed. Also, the foot aches around the ball of the foot, the arch, and on across the top of the toe line during/after activity. I also notice that the foot is very tight in the morning, but gradually loosens in discomfort as the day continues. Is there a good way to tape my foot up while engaging in sports to provide more support and less discomfort for this particular injury?"

Ask a PT Response: "From what you described as far as the mechanics of the injury and the symptoms which you are experiencing, it seems like you may have sprained the ligaments and fascia on the lateral aspect (outside) and plantar aspect (bottom) of your ankle/foot. Therefore, if I had to tape an athlete with this mechanism of injury and the symptoms you describe, I would actually utilize two taping methods - taping for the plantar fascia and taping for a lateral ankle sprain. Your trainer should be able to perform these types of taping. Otherwise you can visit:
http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html
http://www.nismat.org/traincor/ankle_tape.html/?searchterm=lateral%20ankle%20sprain%20taping
and see if you can have someone else who is qualified perform the taping. Good luck with your recovery and thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic