Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Leg, Ankle & Foot Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken fibula, cast removed today.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken fibula, cast removed today.
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 8:56pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  16:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "hi, I broke my fibula bone about 7 weeks ago. It was a clean break, no surgery needed. I was put in a plaster cast. My cast was removed today. Im able to stand on the foot without to much discomfort but when I try to walk the leg is very weak. I am starting to do all the exercises my doctor told me to do. I am wondering how long do you think it will take me to walk agin properly? Just to at least walk would be great, dont need to run yet. looking forward to your reply. Thanks"

Ask a PT Response: "With immobilization, the area immobilized will undergo muscle atrophy and bone reabsorption. In your case, with a fracture of the fibula, you will most likely be experiencing decrease range of motion and strength at the ankle. You will need to regain your range of motion and strength again in order to walk normal. You will also have to retrain how to walk again. If you are not experiencing any pain with weight bearing, then this task will be alot easier. If you are experiencing some pain, I would suggest gait training with a standard cane (hold it on your unaffected side) and practice heel strike (toes pointed up called dorsiflexion) with initial contact, and pushing off from toes (called plantarflexion)to advance affected lower extremity. If this is confusing just take a look at how someone is walking and you will see that when they advance their lower extremity they push off with their toes during push off and come down with their heel and toes pointed up at initial contact. You will need at least 10 degrees of dorsiflexion in order to be able to achieve normal gait. In your situation definitely avoid high impact activities. Without physically examining you and not being able to test your ROM, strength, joint play and gait it would be difficult to tell you when you would be able to walk normal again. With the patients that I've seen that have sustained a fracture of the fibula it takes about one to two months before they achieve normal/close to normal gait mechanics (This is working with a PT 2-3 x wk for 4-8 wks). If you would like to maximize your recovery I would suggest you talk to your doctor and obtain an order for physical therapy. The therapist will be able to determine if you have other deficits as well besides at your ankle ie. weakness of the hip or knee in order to maximize recovery and return to prior level of function. Thank you for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic