Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Extremity & Knee Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knee Injury Recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knee Injury Recovery
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 6:12pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Dear Therapist: My right petalla was brokne during an auto accident and had been repaired through a surgery about one and a half years ago. After graduated from the PT sessions about one year ago, I have been doing weighted excesses and swiming (mostly brast stroke style). However, pain on my knee has kept with me, especially when I bent my knee I feel pain on my backside of the knee and also on my knee cap and bone ends around it. My question is: should I go back to see a PT, or if I can do it by myself, which excesses should I do?"

Ask a PT Response: "Strengthening with weights and swimming are excellent choices for recovering from a patella fracture. However, selecting the appropriate exercises are crucial in preventing injury. You mention you have been performing mainly the breast stroke with swimming. This technique of swimming is probably not the best choice as this involves a whip kick of your legs which puts additional stresses at the patellafemoral joint of your knee. This could possibly result in pain for someone with your condition. You may want to try another stroke such as the front crawl which does not involve bringing your lower legs out like in a W shape to avoid added stresses to your knee. Also with your weight training, you will want to probably avoid deep knee bends or squats as again this will put additional stresses on your knee. Since the pain has persisted with you I would definitely consult with your PT again so that he or she could go over what you should or should not be performing and the mechanics/technique of your exercises as well. I hope this helps and thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic