Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Lower Extremity & Knee Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strain Knee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strain Knee
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 6:06pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  08:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "It's been one summer sence i had this strain knee, because of an unespected move i didn't have the chance of receiving physical theropy. In the spring i'll be active in Softball. I was just wondering if you had any exercises you can help me with so this knee of mine wouldn't get in my way of playing a sport I love so much. So, please sed me some advise. Thank you for your time."

Ask a PT Response: "Usually with a strained knee the muscles that surround it are affected. These muscles usually include the quadriceps (thigh muscle) and the hamstrings (the posterior thigh muscles). Quite often individulas get a knee strain and knee sprain confused. A sprain is when the the ligaments of the knee are injured. There are 4 ligaments in the knee region that can be injured. In your case if you are still experiencing symptoms secondary to a knee sprain from one summer ago, I would definitely get that checked out by your physician or physical therapist. You should have recovered from this type of injury already if it was a normal strain given the time frame. It would be essential for you to do this if you plan on participating in softball this spring to prevent a recurrence or further injury.

Without examining you I don't know what your situation is so that is why I am recommending you consult with your MD/PT. For a typical knee sprain, I would have my patients perform gentle stretching execises for the muscles involved and work on strengthening, range of motion, functional training, postural training and somatosensory/proprioceptive training. I would probably incorporate soft tissue mobilization or some type of modality as well to further facilitate healing. I hope this helps and please feel free to contat us should you have additional questions."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic