Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sports Hernia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sports Hernia
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:58pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Periotically over the last 20 years I have had occasional minor pain in discomfort on my lower left side radiating into my left testicle. The first time this happened I was diagnosed with a strained inguinal muscle. Is a strined inguinal muscle a sports hernia? what physical therapy exercises can I do to help relieve and stop the discomfort. In the past the discomfort has gone away on its own, sometimes after a couple of months or more with discomfort"

Ask a PT Response: "A muscle strain occurs when a muscle or its tendon is overstretched or torn. Therefore, a strain of the muscles (abdominal muscles) in the inguinal region is not termed sports hernia. However, you can term an injury a sports hernia, should intestine bulge through a weak area in the inguinal region where the inguinal muscles have been affected. As far as physical therapy, there is an emphasis on abdominal & core strengthening along with some stretching, and postural training for these patients. You may benefit from a physical therapy consult to determine what exercises would be optimal for your condition especially since you have been experiencing this condition for over 20 years now. Best of health to you and thank you for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic