Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allowed activity after hernia repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allowed activity after hernia repair
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:54pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "I had laparoscopic repair of non-buldging hernia on March 14 and was active the next day. I am a healthy 58 yr old male. I work out 4 mornings a week on elyptical and weight machines. My question is this: How much activity can I do and how fast can I get back to my routine? Is there a schedule of what I can do? I use activity to control my weight and I have put on 5 lbs since March 14. My surgeon says no activity for 6-8 weeks but will not give me a reason why. Since I otherwise feel normal, why not? Thank you for your response."

Ask a PT Response: "With any surgery you want to avoid performing activities which would compromise the work performed. A hernia repair can be easily compromised with activities which puts strain to the injured region such as running, bending, jumping and even performing the elliptical. Every individual heals at a different rate and progression of activities depends on the surgery and what exactly had to be done. From my understanding if the hernia defect is fairly small, it may be closed with stitches (sutures). If the hernia defect is larger, it should be closed with a piece of mesh. In your case, you mentioned you didn't have a bulging hernia so there might have been less invloved as far as surgery goes. Basically you want to avoid activities which might compromise these sutures. In any case, I would recommend you follow your physician's recommendation as he or she knows the limitations of your injury and the work that had to be performed on you. From my experience with some patients, some physicians do allow the patient to perform a walking program or utilize an upper body ergometer. I know it is hard to not be active when you are feeling well, but you need to be patient and give your body time to heal. Take care."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic