Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gluteal muscle pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gluteal muscle pain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:43pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  23:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Hello Last Wednesday, I was deadlifting, finished a set with no apparent damage done. Then I Walked away to get a drink of water and then did sit-ups. After that, I had to unload the weights but I felt a sharp pain in my glute and struggled to unload them. This pain is still with me whenever I lift weights that involve using my glute. So I dont feel it when I'm doing everyday things. I've attempted to perform those exercises again but It just hurts. Also, in that same day, I did squats, no problems caused by that. What is your opinion of this? This is the first time Ive injured myself while lifting weights over 2 years. Just a strained muscle? What will it take to heal?"

Ask a PT Response: "With a dead lift the muscle groups emphasized are the quadriceps, hamstrings, back muscles and gluteal muscles. When you squat to lift the bar your arms should be towards the outside of your knees and your back should be straight. Often times I have seen this lift be performed and the individual kicks his/her posterior out behind them to lift the bar. If someone is doing this than the weight is probably too heavy as this is a compensatory pattern. When this occurs the gluteal muscles are more actively utilized (With a proper dead lift you will contract your gluts but not to that extent). This could result in a strain of the gluteal muscle(s). You mentioned that "This pain is still with me whenever I lift weights that involve using my glute", which would lead one to believe that you most likely did strain your gluteal muscle(s) especially since you are not experiencng pain performing everyday activities. At this point of time I would recommend you refrain from performing activities which would further stress your gluteal muscles. Gentle gluteal exercises for strengthening or stretching such as glut sets and ITB/Glut stretching are usually prescribed by a P.T.. Massage/soft tissue mobilization and hot packs are often performed as well to assist in speeding up the healing process. You can view the exercise clips to see the sample exercises for stretching and strengthening. If your condition does not improve in the next week or two I would definitely consult with your physician or physical therapist to address your condition. Thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic