Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Groin Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groin Pain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:40pm

Diane

1 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  23:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a right hip replacement about a year ago and it went well. I am due for a right knee replacement as well in the near future. About 1 month ago I developed pain in the region of my right groin. It has gradually worsened over time. In fact I now have alot of pain and difficulty with lifting my right leg up for performing activities such as getting in and out of a car or bed and going up and down steps. It is also really tender in the groin area as well. I have also went back to using my cane to help with walking. Anyone have any ideas to what is going on? Any suggestions to help?
Thanks
Diane

JonK

2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  21:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diane,
It sounds like you might have a hip flexor dysfunction. I have seen some of my patients develop this condition after a hip replacement. What happens is your hip flexors (the muscles in front by your groin which help you perform activities such as marching) become irritated or tight because of how you have been walking secondary to your hip arthritis/problem. After you had your surgery you are able to walk more normal again and no longer have to guard your hip. Therefore, you start using you hip more which results in stretching of the hip flexors. These hip flexors have become tight over the years and aren't use to this increase activity and will become irritated and painful. I recommend stretching out your hip flexors and performing some massage to this area. For a beginner's exercise you can let your leg hang off a bed while you are lying down on your back in your bed. Let it hang for about 30 secs about 5 x's for 3-4 x's a day. If you can't tolerate 30 secs then perform for whatever you can tolerate. If it is too painful then don't perform and definitely seek medical attention. A P.T. will definitely be able to help with this condition or other conditions similiar to this. If you can get the hip/groin better now your recovery from the knee replacement will be faster as well.
Best of Luck,
Jon

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic