Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Low Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulging Disk exercises

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulging Disk exercises
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:28pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "extremely frustrated! How long should it take to be able to do a pelvic tilt? everything I've read mentions nothing about it being difficult. It's supposed to help my abdomen, but if northing's moving, nothing's being helped, right?"

Ask a PT Response: "Often times for an individual that has a bulging disc certain exercises may not be tolerated. In some cases a posterior pelic tilt. The reason for having a patient perform a posterior pelvic tilt is to help the patient facilitate increase abdominal strength and better posture. A pelvic tilt does involve tightening the abdominal muscles with little movement at the back and abdomen. You should feel it in your abdominals when you perform this exercise. For patients that can't tolerate performing this exercise it can be performed in standing or sitting as well with the same concerpt of tightening your abdominals while flattening out your back. Once a patient has mastered this exercise they can then be progressed to performing this exercise on their back. There are other exercises that could be performed which can help with abdominal/core strengthening. I'd recommend you consult with your physical therapist to determine which exercises would be appropriate and beneficial for you. Thanks for using CyberPT."

apt

7 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  20:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand your frustration because pelvic tilt and lumbar stabilization exercises can be very challenging. While challenging, they can be very beneficial, especially if you have a bulging disc problem. I would advise you go through these exercises with a Physical Therpist, so he/she can help coach you on how to perform the exercise properly. This way, you will receive maximum benefit from the exercise, while knowing that you are performing the exercise properly. The amount of body movement during lumbar stabilization exercises can be very minimal, while still effective at strengthening your abdominal muscles. Your PT will be able to watch you do the exercise, give you cues and instruction on proper form, and progress the exercises accordingly.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic