Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhomboid Strain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhomboid Strain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:11pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  08:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "I developed a left rhomboid strain immediately after a session of running (30 min) and stairmaster (15 min). I maintained what I thought to be an upright posture throughout so I don't know how this could have happened. I'm not sure how I can prevent future occurances as I did not do anything different from my normal routine. How long should I wait until I get back to my normal activities? The muscle relaxants and ibuprofen I've been taking have been helpful but I still feel a 'pull' in my neck when I bend my head forward and my rhomboid still feels stiff in the mornings or tired during the day. I am anxious to get back to my running and weight training. Are there other activities that I could do in the meantime? I also have stopped doing Pilates for fear of injuring my neck and now only do recumbant biking or stairclimbing. Thank you in advance for your advice!"

Ask a PT Response: "Maintaining good posture is essential to preventing injury. With running and performing the stairmaster, my guess is that if you did injure your rhomboid it is from the movement of your arms back and forth. The rhomboid muscle helps bring your shoulder blade back but also assists in stabilizing your upper extremity when it is brought up or out to the side. My suggestion is to stretch your rhomboid prior to running or performing the stairmaster. You can do so by bringing your arm across your body and holding it until a stretch is felt in that area. Hold for at least 15 secs and repeat 4 x's. Massage or a hot pack to the affected area may also help decrease the stiffness and discomfort as well. As far as what you should do, my general advise is to avoid acitvities which aggravate your condition or perform the acitvities at a level which doesn't aggravate your condition. Pilates does put a lot of stress on your neck and you are right to avoid this if you are experiencing neck problems. For optimal results and outcome, I would recommend you consult with a physical therapist especially since you mention you may have some issues with your neck. He or she would be able to determine the best plan of care for you. I hope this helps and thank you for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic